Sunday, June 10, 2012

Eddy and I would go!

Eddy Aikau



Some of you might be thinking, where is she? She is not writing.

I can say that my life is an amazing ride and sometimes it is a little too much for me.
Lot’s of things happened last week and I am still kind of digesting it. When I am ready I will write about it, if I can…now I just have to let it be in me.

In the meantime, I am on a train to illustrate the Hawaiian children’s book.
I have so much fun with it and “Oh My!”
Today I painted Eddy Aikau. I am happy with it. It was with a trilling hand I made his character in the book…trilling because this amazing man is one of my true hero’s!

I feel so much honor to paint and to be in his energy, and  to be in the energy of his family.

It is for his family member Gerard that I am illustrating the book. The story will be in Hawaiian/English.
I just love it! I am doing research work, because the story is dated in the 1800. I am learning so much about the Hawaiian culture and once more I feel so so honored.
I am illustrating this book because deep inside I have this calling to do so. I feel it is my kuleana (responsibility) and mahalo (Thank you) to the Hawaiian people for letting me live here on these magnificent Islands.

Eddy Aikau has this amazing spirit and is so brave. I wish I have those qualities within myself and maybe I have, when I look to my life. Anyway here I found a description of his amazing life, I hope you are so excited as I am…It is!



Edward Ryon Makuahanai Aikau (born Kahului, Hawaii, May 4, 1946–March 17, 1978) was a well-known Hawaiian lifeguard and surfer. The words Makua Hanai in Eddie Aikau's full name means ‘feeding parent’, in the Hawaiian language. As the first lifeguard at Waimea Bay on the island of Oahu, he saved many lives and became famous for surfing the big Hawaiian surf, winning several awards including the 1977 Duke Kahanamoku Invitational Surfing Championship.

The City & County of Honolulu gave Aikau the task of covering all of the beaches between Sunset beach and Haleiwa. Not one life was lost while he served as lifeguard of Waimea Bay, as he braved waves that often reached 30 feet (9.1 m) high or more.

In 1978, the Polynesian Voyaging Society was seeking volunteers for a 30 day, 2,500-mile (4,000 km) journey to follow the ancient route of the Polynesian migration between the Hawaiian and Tahitian island chains. At 31 years of age, Aikau joined the voyage as a crew member. The Hokule'a left the Hawaiian islands on March 16, 1978. The double-hulled voyaging canoe developed a leak in one of the hulls and later capsized about twelve miles (19 km) south of the island of Molokai. In an attempt to get help, Aikau paddled toward Lanai on his surfboard. Although the rest of the crew was later rescued by the U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Cape Corwin, Aikau was never seen again. He removed his lifejacket since it was hindering his paddling of the surfboard. The ensuing search for Aikau was the largest air-sea search in Hawaii history.

In the 1970s, bumper stickers and T-shirts with the phrase "Eddie Would Go" spread around the Hawaiian Islands and to the rest of the world. According to maritime historian Mac Simpson, "Aikau was a legend on the North Shore, pulling people out of waves that no one else would dare to. That's where the saying came from -- Eddie would go, when no else would or could. Only Eddie dared.”



I found this on the internet. It is so inspiring to me.
I believe that we all come to planet earth with a mission and that it always falls into place how it will play out. I believe we co-create it together with God. The only thing we have to be is BRAVE and face our fears in the eye. It is so interesting that I was challenged this week in being brave.
It is all so perfect.

As my beloved P-Yoda, my teacher-friend-mother would say; “What if nothing is wrong?”

When you live in the energy of this phrase you eliminate all fear and that is when your real ‘life purpose’ can unfold. Let go and let God!

You designed it anyway in co-creation with God.
Why would you stand in your own way?
Eddy died young, but I believe it was his fate and his choice. And he never really died. He is a myth that lives in each heart here in Hawaii and throughout the world.
Also now I met Eddy, I feel safer in the Ocean. I swim every day and I know his spirit is out there in the ocean saving people. I feel he is watching my back and swims with me.

Mahalo Eddy! I love you! Aloha!

Mahalo to the AIKAU family!



Love Tamara,

No comments:

Post a Comment