Thursday, April 26, 2012

Woeha, they called me a hero! I saved a turtle today!






They called me a hero today!

I am so proud of myself!

I rescued a wounded turtle. I am so proud of my body that had an extraordinary power in the moment I had to do it. I have the same power when I swim with dolphins. It is as if I have turbo power.

My friend Bibi and I went in the morning with the goal to find our wounded turtle. We found another one first, an entangled one who had a fish line from his mouth attached to his fin. We didn’t get this one today…tomorrow hopefully…he was still ok and won’t die immediately.
Then we started looking for the wounded turtle, all over the reserve. Bibi went one direction and I took the other one. I knew Bibi was cold already from our first attempt to save that one turtle that I assumed she went back on land when I searched for her.

But I knew that if I would not get the turtle today, she would die definitely. I saw her yesterday and she was already showing balance distortions. And with a wound like that, she would have attracted sharks.



I couldn’t find her, I swam all over the place, looked in all the little holes I knew they were hiding; but no result. Then I just asked guidance to guide me to her. “Red rock”; I heard.  Red rock is for me a particular area where there is more red coral. So I just swam to red rock and there she was hanging on top of the water. She made it easy for me. A tourist was taking a picture from this very ‘laidback’ turtle. He must have been in shock when he saw me putting my one hand under her belly and putting my other hand around her shell. J., the ranger just had taught me how to do it!

Never let them drawn, keep their head up. I was pretty far from shore and I asked the tourist if  he had something to do and maybe could just help me holding her straight.

I swam as a crazy horse (that is my identity at my best! Haha! J)

I knew we had only little time and her time was all what counted now. She needed to get on a flight to Oahu, as fast as possible.

I navigated around the coral and had to hold her strong when there was a current, while I was just giving everything in my legs. I just didn’t care of pain or cramps, just go for it…Go Go Go…


We entered the cove and I made one mistake to stop and to take my snorkel off. The cove is very shallow and it would be extremely difficult to get on shore with the turtle me and M. the tourist.
I explained the tourist that it was tricky and what to watch out for.
She kind of felt what was happening and she started fighting me. Oh damn, I just had put my snorkel up. I managed it to fight her off, to keep in holding her to put my mask back on and to make the decision to not talk about it, but to just do it…now or never!
I took her in my arms and just swam as hard as I could. I didn’t see M. anymore I knew this last part was my part, the rocks were everywhere. I needed to navigate with her in my arms through the waves. She was flip flopping, hitting me with her fins…Poor baby, … (talking about the turtle, not about me
J. Maybe about me too, because she was intense)

… I had to ignore that and just keep on going…going going…just go go go…

When I came closer, I kind of held her in my arms and together we were flowing between the really shallow rocks,…I was looking for a good spot where I could stand and held her…
She really started fighting now and she even hit me on the head… poor baby…(maybe I should say Rich baby, because she gets another change to live!
J)

The ranger J. just had taught me to turn them around in the water when they do that, …

“Ok everything or nothing”, I thought and turned her around. Belly up.
 It went wonder well, she stopped the fight.
I saw M. the tourist back now... He was behind me. Thank you so so much M. I don’t think I would have been able to do it without you. Well I think the Universe sent you!
And I would have done it any way…. :)
No way I was going to leave this bay today before this mama Honu was saved.

 It was amazing to turn a 200 pound turtle upside down, in the waves, standing on my fins,…holding her tight…
Me, telling her; “You are not going anywhere, you are going to LIVE!”
My will for her to live was so strong…
while I was bringing her in I had talked to her, told her how much I loved her. Maybe that did it.
The love..The power of love.

Nothing else.

I shouted (I am so sorry for those poor tourists) to the shore to stop taking pictures and come and help me bring her on land. And with the 3 of us we brought her on land, half in the water half out of the water. And I put my body in front of her and the ocean…you are safe now, relax…just relax and she did.
I could relax now too. She and I waited about 40 minutes half in and out of the water until J. the ranger came.

Funny thing was that I saw how I was amazing in giving commends to people…that never happened before in my life. As if I changed in the leader figure…hmm different identity. Interesting.

I sat there caressing my new friend; telling her she would be ok now.

She had 3 big wounds on her shell. A boat had come in the reserve and a propeller hit her. They are not supposed to come in the reserve. I don’t understand people sometimes.



J.,the ranger showed up and she is on her way to Honolulu now. The ranger was so happy, he is an amazing man. We had both tears in our eyes. She is going to make it!
We saved a life today!
And maybe many more, because she was a big mama, that can give birth too many little mini turtles.


People gathered around the truck and called me a hero…and sorry it might be my ego, but I liked it!

One man had reported mea half hour earlier harassing the turtle. And it was funny to see him there.
But it’s good people do that, watching over our wild life. He called me a hero afterwards and took my picture with my little honu friend.


My body was still thrilling form the intense work-out.
Thank you my wonderful strong body! Thank you , thank you.

I always believe that there is invisible power helping us and maybe some angels might have helped me carrying this honu.
It is an honor to be able to do such a service.

I am still thrilled by what happened. I had to eat and sleep when I came home…

It is an amazing journey, physically but spiritually and emotionally…

In Belgium we say:

Where there is a will there is a way.
My will to save that turtle today was unbeatable. I would have done anything…
well maybe I did.
Please let us all send her light and love, just like I painted it in this painting.
That she heals fast and painless and swims soon back in the Hawaiian waters free and joyful!

I paint them, and love them so much.
You can view my art on my website
www.rainbowsheart.com

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful story, Tamara! My roommate in Waimanalo, Steve, did a honu rescue years ago - I have never forgotten the light in his face when he came home and shared his experience with me...
    Aloha, Maureen

    ReplyDelete